It wasn’t just I-95.
By failing to take the necessary precautions in advance of a substantial snowstorm, Gov. Ralph Northam (D) guaranteed that travelers on an Amtrak train would become stranded in 40-hour hell without food or working toilets.
The New York Post reports:
People aboard the Crescent 20 out of New Orleans said they were without food or toilets – or any idea about when their journey would resume before it finally did at around 4 p.m. Tuesday, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.
“All we’ve been told is there are trees on the tracks preventing us from moving forward,” rider Sean Thornton said during the extended stop.
“Nobody has eaten for about 20 hours and the toilets in coach are completely backed up. The snack bar sold out of food yesterday. Passengers have been banned from leaving the train.”
Thankful for iPads and resilient kids, as we approach 30 hours #stuckonthetrain on #Amtrak train 52. The baby is asleep after we finally got him to drink some milk. Still waiting on @CSX to clear the train and bring us into station. #getusoffthistrain pic.twitter.com/ObsCQuXu04
— Cassandra Clark (@CSClark23) January 4, 2022
McDonald’s food was brought to passengers midmorning Tuesday after they had been without food since Monday, the Associated Press reported.
Following widespread backlash, Northam walked back his comments that pointed proverbial fingers at drivers who became stranded on I-95 on Monday.